When I stand before God at the end of my life,
I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say,
"I used everything You gave me."
~Erma Bombeck

 photo 050-Black-EmailIcons-.png photo 050-Black-FacebookIcons-.png photo 050-Black-PinterestIcons-.png photo 050-Black-TwitterIcons-.png 050-Black-RssIcons-.png 050-Black-InstagramIcons-.png 050-Black-EtsyIcons-.png 050-Black-BloglovinIcons-.png

February 1, 2010

Monday Musings... Mom

Painting by Barbara Whitlock

I just thought I would share with you a treasure that my sis and I found among my mother's personal belongings. She wrote:

When I am no longer with you, and peace has claimed my soul.
Gaze upon my paintings, smile and you'll know,
As I placed each vivid color, a brush stroke here and there,
The pleasure that it gave me, is far beyond compare.

A son, strong and witty, two daughters fair as spring.
I leave them with my paintings to ease the saddening sting.
To show that I have walked here and fulfilled every dream.

A woman painting pictures was not quite what it seemed.
No one could know the way it calmed my heart and satisfied my mind,
To sign a finished painting for someone else to find.

So gaze upon my pictures and know deep in your being,
"She lived a blessed and happy life for she left all these things."
                                                           ~Barbara Whitlock

Isn't that sweet? We also found some finished paintings that we didn't know about. We thought they had all been sold. The three of us will surely cherish them forever.
Have a great Monday. Create to your hearts content, because someday others will cherish the memory of you when they "gaze upon" what you made with your hands.

4 comments:

  1. Spreading some sunshine your way. Check out my blog.
    http://itsahodgepodgelife.blogspot.com/2010/02/spreading-little-sunshine.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you found a few of her paintings!!! That warms my heart, Lanie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful gift your mother left you. The painting is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A good painting is always a good feeling...especially from the heart of a loved one. Pretty writing too!

    ReplyDelete