When I stand before God at the end of my life,
I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say,
"I used everything You gave me."
~Erma Bombeck

 photo 050-Black-EmailIcons-.png photo 050-Black-FacebookIcons-.png photo 050-Black-PinterestIcons-.png photo 050-Black-TwitterIcons-.png 050-Black-RssIcons-.png 050-Black-InstagramIcons-.png 050-Black-EtsyIcons-.png 050-Black-BloglovinIcons-.png

January 20, 2010

Decoupaged Wooden Letters


Decoupaged wooden letters make great gifts for birthdays, baby showers, etc. I love to add color to my girls' rooms with them. You can use just about any paper and embellishments you have on hand.
This letter B is for Blake. I needed a gift for a baby shower, so I thought I would take you along on how to make one.

For this project, you will need:
  • Wooden letter
  • Scrapbook paper
  • Misc. embellishments (buttons, rhinestones, ribbon etc.)
  • Mod Podge
  • Paint (unless you purchase a prepainted letter)
  • Foam Brush
  • Pencil
  • Scissors or craft knife

1. Lay your letter face down on the back of the paper and trace. You can do the whole letter one paper if you like or chose two like I did here.

2. Cut the letter out with your scissors or craft knife and set your paper letter aside for later.


3. Paint around the edge of your letter, slightly going onto the front.

4. After your paint has dried, apply a thin coat of Mod Podge to the front of your letter and quickly place your paper on it.

At this point your letter should look like this. Let it dry while watching for any bubbles you may need to smooth out.  You can use your fingers or a brayer to do so.
5. Optional... Once your letter has dried from putting on the paper, you can do an extra coat over it. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. After completing this letter, I decided I probably won't again, just because I like the way it looks without it.

6. Once your letter is dry again, apply embellishments. For this letter, I used matching ribbon and some star buttons I had in my stash. Simply trim your ribbon and glue it and your other embellishments on using the Mod Podge.


And then you are finished!

Happy crafting!
I'm linking to...


Punkin Seed Productions




9 comments:

  1. I love the decoupaged letters! We've got letters on our mantel and lots of big letters go out of our house as gifts! Can't wait to get to know you better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, I love it! I can't wait to try it myself. Thank you for the step by step. That was really helpful. I too am a fellow craft addict and I just wanted you to know that I joined your blog and can't wait to check back for more ideas. Great job!

    Andrea
    Baby I'm On My Way

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love letters! I recently became obsessed with monograms and asked for the letter "R" (Rose is my last name)for Christmas. I got 3! I can't wait to try this out. Thanks for the instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cute!! I would love for you to do a guest post at Win My Year sometime too! Thanks for this one though-- I am going to make a wooden joy with the o being a jingle bell and I was trying to figure out how best to go about doing the J and Y!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did a great job with these letters!! I love your color combos!! What a great idea for a baby gift too!!

    I found you through Punkin Seed Productions! Thank you for your inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute!! I love the look of using TWO papers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. fantastic and great info, i always have loads of bubbles but will try again, really lovely items xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for posting this! These are the best instructions I have found, they were easy to follow. I am so pleased with this project.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the tutorial! Can't wait to try it out myself! :]

    ReplyDelete