When I stand before God at the end of my life,
I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say,
"I used everything You gave me."
~Erma Bombeck

 photo 050-Black-EmailIcons-.png photo 050-Black-FacebookIcons-.png photo 050-Black-PinterestIcons-.png photo 050-Black-TwitterIcons-.png 050-Black-RssIcons-.png 050-Black-InstagramIcons-.png 050-Black-EtsyIcons-.png 050-Black-BloglovinIcons-.png

February 9, 2010

Mama's Soft Sugar Cookies


I really, really wanted to make these for Christmas. My mother made them every Christmas when I was a little girl, and of course, having just lost her last October, I wanted to make them help remember her. Well, things got too busy as they usually do that time of year and I didn't get to make them. So... I thought Valentine's Day would be a great reason to pull out this delicious recipe once again. Let me tell you, I know that it is a no-no to eat the raw dough, but I can't tell you what this alone did in bringing back sweet memories!

Soft Sugar Cookies
Beat: 1 cup butter and 1 cup sugar
Add: 3 beaten eggs
3-1/2 cups flour
3 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/8 tsp. lemon extract

Roll dough to about 1/4 inch, cut with cookie cutter. Bake at 350 degrees 7 to 9 minutes.



Icing
4 cups powdered sugar
3/4 cup butter
1 to 2 tsp. vanilla
1/4 to 1/2 cup milk (evaporated)
Food color of your choice


Here we are ready for icing. If you want more of a frosting consistency, cut back on the evaporated milk to 1/4 cup. If you want more of an icing, you can use 1/2 cup. The latter is what I did and ended up dipping the cookies and putting them on the wax paper for my girls to decorate. Next time I will do a little less evaporated milk.


The girls LOVED this part! Decorate with your favorite sprinkles and candy conversation hearts.



Here are their finished masterpieces. Let me tell you these cookies are GOOD. They have kind of a soft bread texture to them. YUM!

I am linking to Tasty Tuesdays at Balancing Beauty and Bedlam and Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays at Blessed With Grace

7 comments:

  1. Yum - can't wait to try these! Came by from Beauty and Bedlam!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those cookies look delicious, and it must have been fun to make. Thanks for sharing.

    Btw, Lanie is my nickname! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those cookies look AWESOME!!!!!!!! I love making cookies with the kiddos. I love those stacks and stacks of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so yummy looking! I love a good gooey sugar cookie and I think these might just be that! We will have to try them. Thanks for sharing.
    ~Gay~
    itsahodgepodgelife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. The recipe sounds perfect and the cookies look great, too! Thanks for linking your post to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. yummy! i'd love to have one right now! Thanks for your advice on my post earlier...will have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  7. All those sprinkles! Love them! Thanks for the recipe, I think we'll make some today!

    ReplyDelete