When I stand before God at the end of my life,
I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say,
"I used everything You gave me."
~Erma Bombeck

 photo 050-Black-EmailIcons-.png photo 050-Black-FacebookIcons-.png photo 050-Black-PinterestIcons-.png photo 050-Black-TwitterIcons-.png 050-Black-RssIcons-.png 050-Black-InstagramIcons-.png 050-Black-EtsyIcons-.png 050-Black-BloglovinIcons-.png

May 27, 2010

I never took you for the "type" to knit...

First, I want to invite you all over to my other blog Misc. and Etc. You can get there by clicking on the button to the right. My friend Chris and I are starting to do some inspirational blogging and would love to have you visit for encouragement and share with us!

On Mother's Day weekend. My daughters and I were passing the time in a little Gulf Coast town called Port Lavaca in Texas. While moseying around, we came across a cute little yarn shop called 2 Sisters Knit. Because Katie and I are both big lovers of color, I took the girls in to see all the pretty yarns. The owner and her sister happened to be sitting on cute little wicker couches knitting away. One was knitting a trendy little handbag, the other a scarf. While we perused the different yarns, I struck up a conversation with the owner. I was reminiscing about how my mother knitted and that I had two of her afghans and how much I enjoyed them.

(Moms knitting projects.)

In the meantime, Katie picks up a cute little colorful scarf knit from eyelash yarn and tosses it about her neck. The ladies exclaimed how cute the scarf was on her and that it was for sale. Turns out buying a hank of yarn and needles was cheaper than the scarf... Did I mention, my mother taught me how to knit? It was like riding a bicycle after 30 years. I had to have the owner demonstrate how to bind off as my Mama always did that for me, but soon I was on my way to making Katie a scarf.

Here is where I mention for the benefit of my friend Aamie that it is going to be 94 degrees in Houston this afternoon and hardly the weather for a scarf so here is Tallulah the cat modeling in the comfy airconditioning of our home...


On Mother's Day, I sat around the table with my inlaws, visiting and knitting away when one of my brother-in-laws piped up to say he never took me for the knitting type. I happen to know a few knitters (Marie!) and kind of giggled. Just what is the knitting type?

After arriving home from our weekend I was prompted to go to Hobby Lobby so Nikki could pick out yarn for her scarf. Here is the lovely Tallulah modeling for us again...


I have really enjoyed making a couple of washcloths this week (see below) and am hoping to do some more advance projects sometime soon. An afghan would make a lovely Christmas gift don't you think? Katie has already asked for one!




So what about you? Do you knit? Do you care to try?

6 comments:

  1. I love the scarfs you knited. All looks great

    Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful scarfs & beautiful memory of your mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know how to knit but i would love to learn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to knit but don't do it as much as I'd like. The end project's success has lot has to do with the kind of yarn you use and the colors since those were some mighty dramatic (simple) scarfs you made for your daughters - and I'm inspired. Nice job on the wash cloths too. Your mother was a true knitter from the looks of those two huge afgans with no need to use any fluffy colorful yarn either. It's a gift of patience to do something like that and it's what I'm aiming for. Anyway, I'm here from the Friday Follow blog hop and your newest follower! Hope you'll come visit my blog and follow me too. Thanks! I'm glad I found this blog.

    Haupi
    http://hauplight.blogspot.com/

    Hope you'll come visit my blog and follow me too! Thanks.

    http://hauplight.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried to teach myself a couple of years ago - but it never went anywhere - my mom also tried to teach me to crochet - but I didn't stick with it enough to practice - I would love to learn though - she crochets every winter and it always seems so relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE this by the way...and would love for you to teach me how to knit...before I'm in the nursing home!

    ReplyDelete