When I stand before God at the end of my life,
I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say,
"I used everything You gave me."
~Erma Bombeck

 photo 050-Black-EmailIcons-.png photo 050-Black-FacebookIcons-.png photo 050-Black-PinterestIcons-.png photo 050-Black-TwitterIcons-.png 050-Black-RssIcons-.png 050-Black-InstagramIcons-.png 050-Black-EtsyIcons-.png 050-Black-BloglovinIcons-.png

July 27, 2010

Calligraphy...

So, I missed Tuesday Tidbits! Maybe next week. Instead, I thought I would share one of my favorite hobbies with you.

Websters Dictionary defines calligraphy as...

1 a : artistic, stylized, or elegant handwriting or lettering b : the art of producing such writing

When I was very young, maybe 10 years old, I found my mom's art box in the basement. Inside was a book about calligraphy, a bottle of ink and several dip pens. I used to sit for hours and hours at the kitchen table trying to emulate the beautiful writing in that book.

Imagine my surprise when 28 years later, I found the book again among my late mother's art tools.


This is the book.

When I originally found the book my mother told me it was from her high school art class which would have been in the 1960's. This book doesn't have a copyright date but I can tell you how old it is by comparing it to a book I bought back around 2000. See where it says fifth edition?

Here is the 23rd Edition!


Fifth Edition.


23rd Edition.

When I was 32, I took an actual class in calligraphy because I wanted to do my own wedding invitations. The lady was surprised at the fact I already knew how to hold the pen and do the basic strokes. She asked if I had ever done calligraphy before and I told her, "About 20 years ago!"

With my youngest starting kindergarten in 4 weeks, I am getting ready to dust off my pens. Here is a sample of my work...

A gift for my friend Gina.


A college graduation gift for my brother.

I am pretty critical about my work, so it takes several copies before I am satisfied. Which is probably why I don't do it very often. I am one of those crafters/artists who prefers instant gratification!

What about you? Do you do calligraphy? Have you ever tried or are you interested?

7 comments:

  1. Lanie, I have done a very small amount of calligraphy but have not really learned all that's needed. I do enjoy it though. I just used it to make Christmas cards, etc. but it was definitely fun! Love your mothers' old book!
    Bev Stone

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was very interested in calligraphy for my wedding invitations also. It didn't come out too great.

    Your gifts look amazing! Lovely work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish that I had just a tiny bit of your talent! :) Just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried it once and I totally stunk at it! You are good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a wonderful book! I have done a lot of lettering. In college an entire semester was dedicated to the art of lettering... I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like you, I have always LOVED calligraphy and enjoy doing it. I have such a collection of books and pens and paper and even made my own bamboo pens from my own bamboo. It's time consuming but beautiful and satisfying to do. Thanks for reminding me of a craft I haven't done in a while!
    xox
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bought a pen and practiced and practiced so I could do my own wedding invitations. They were OK, but to a trained eye, they were probably hideous! Oh well. I do think the work is beautiful and I have hired a calligrapher to do other work, but I, myself am much too lazy to try it...at least at this time in my life.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete