When I stand before God at the end of my life,
I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say,
"I used everything You gave me."
~Erma Bombeck

 photo 050-Black-EmailIcons-.png photo 050-Black-FacebookIcons-.png photo 050-Black-PinterestIcons-.png photo 050-Black-TwitterIcons-.png 050-Black-RssIcons-.png 050-Black-InstagramIcons-.png 050-Black-EtsyIcons-.png 050-Black-BloglovinIcons-.png

October 4, 2010

Mondays with Mom - Beauty for Ashes...

Before my mother passed away, my sister asked her what her wishes were as far as funeral services, burial and such. Mom's only request was that her body be cremated and separated into thirds. One third  for my older brother to scatter in the mountains of Utah, where Mom and all three of us kids was born and where a majority of her life was spent. One third for my sister to scatter  in the mountains of Arizona that Mom loved to visit so much. And one third to come to me to spread on the beach here in Texas. A place my Mom only got to visit twice but was enamoured with. These are also the states that the three of us children live in.

So each of us received a box and my Daddy received a mini one to hold close to his heart.  My sister has not scattered hers, and mine sit on the shelf in my living room until the time I am ready to let them go. Mika and I both agree that we will know in our hearts when the time is right. At first I stressed over this, but I realize that in my heart I will know the exact time and the exact place that will be right for this significant occasion.

My brother scattered his portion of Mom's ashes in Hawaii on a recent vacation. He said he needed closure. When my sister told me he did this. I freaked out a bit and asked, "Didn't Mom want him to scatter his in the mountains near St. George?" to which she replied, "Yes, and I was kind of bothered too until I realized Mom didn't know Hawaii was an option!" At this I laughed and thought to myself, "Yes, this is perfect, she would have loved the view..."


When the mortuary separated the ashes there were some extra. My little sister has a friend who makes beautiful handblown glass beads and she offered to make some containing the remaining ashes of my mother. Here is what I received from my sister on this past Mother's Day.

A mobile. I am still looking for the perfect spot to hang this!
A closeup of the beads containing Mom's ashes.
A necklace with a beautiful pendant to hang close to my heart.
Beauty for ashes comes to mind. I can hang the mobile in a special spot as a sweet reminder and a part of Mom or I can wear the beautiful pendant on my neck and carry her with me. So sweet and special these are to me and they tell a story for my children too.

Credit for these beautiful beads goes to my sister's sweet friend Sangita. If you are interested in having some special beads made, you can contact her at... sangita@sangita.net. Or email me here and I will be glad to put you in touch with her.

To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the LORD, that he might be glorified. ~Isaiah 61:3

2 comments:

  1. How touching this is! I'm glad you all are able to spread her ashes where and when it's right for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SUPER cute necklace:)
    LOVE the colors.
    xoxo
    bB

    ReplyDelete