When I stand before God at the end of my life,
I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say,
"I used everything You gave me."
~Erma Bombeck

 photo 050-Black-EmailIcons-.png photo 050-Black-FacebookIcons-.png photo 050-Black-PinterestIcons-.png photo 050-Black-TwitterIcons-.png 050-Black-RssIcons-.png 050-Black-InstagramIcons-.png 050-Black-EtsyIcons-.png 050-Black-BloglovinIcons-.png

January 1, 2011

Embrace 2011!


As of the time I am writing this post, it is 9:15 AM on New Years Day. My darling little ones and husband are still sleeping from their late night. Our neighborhood sounded like a war zone last night. It is legal to shoot fireworks here within city limits on July 4th and New Years Eve.

I myself have always been an early riser. Yet another gene from my sweet mother I suppose.While I might need a nap later this afternoon, waking early today has given me some time to myself. So... I decided to use my new Christmas gifts and post a doodle for you. Using Faber Castell Pitt Pens, my brand new Copic markers (LOVE THEM!) and my shiny new scanner I came up with this 2011 doodle. It was really fun! What I love about doodling is that you cannot make any mistakes. I didn't spend my time worrying how it looked as I did it. I find that I am more free and creative when I shut out the inner critic. Can I hear an AMEN!?

It seems pretty common around the creative blogs to choose a word for the year. I have mulled this over quite a bit in the last week and I decided on the word...

EMBRACE

Why did I choose this word? Because this will be the year I turn 40. Yep, the big 4 0! In fact, this mile stone will happen this month. I have spent a lot of time pondering this fact, looking back and where I have been and then forward at where I want to go.

I have realized in the past couple months that I spend many a night laying my head on the pillow frustrated beyond belief that I have not spent any time doing any of the things I enjoy, chasing goals and dreams I want to chase. I've been saying yes to everyone else but myself and the one who has given me talents to share... God. Who the heck am I to say no to God?!

Before Christmas. My husband Chuck and I had a talk about being creative.

He asked me, "What do you need?"

 I said, "What do you mean, what do I need?"

He said, "What do you need to be creative? What is it?
Tell me and I will get it for you."

"A scanner/printer, some new professional markers and time." I said.

"There is only one catch..."

"What's that?" I asked.

"That you do something with it. Stop saying yes to things that take your time and energy away from the things you want to do and start doing creating."

So, the very next day, we ventured to Hobby Lobby and using our 40% off coupon (one for each of us) we bought 2 sets of 6 Copic markers. Very expensive, but well worth the price in my book. I followed up the next week and got 4 more colors to add to my new collection. Did I mention I LOVE them? Then on Christmas Eve Chuck went to Office Depot and bought me a cool new scanner/printer so that I can scan my art for the blog and print some for my Etsy shop.

So, here I am this morning looking forward to 2011. Here are the things I plan to embrace...

God
My children and husband
Creativity
Being 40
Talent
Love
Imperfection
Joy
Peace

It's gonna be a great year! I just know it!

What will you embrace in 2011?

Linking to:



3 comments:

  1. Beautiful post, Lanie. Your doodles are artwork in my book! 2011 can only go up...for my family and I. I learned alot about faith, family and friends in 2010 but I don't care to repeat it. Happy New Year and so happy you have found your "happy place" to create again.
    ~Gay~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved your post today Lanie and your artwork is AWESOME!! I'm so happy that you are going to be doing something that makes you happy and will put smiles on all of our faces in getting to see what you design. 2010 was a very hard year but I'm feeling good about 2011...the year that is going to be directed from Heaven. God will Bless us all.

    Embrace 40 with pride....it's only a number and I can say that with experience (I will be 53 this year and I'm remembering "it's only a number....it's only a number" ^_^)

    Happy New Year Hugs,
    Regi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this. I love that you have someone in your life who says, "What do you need?"

    I love that you embraced his offer and stepped into a fresh look at being creative.

    So great. Can't wait to see more :)

    ReplyDelete